Thursday, August 29, 2013

A Year Without Flowers?

We've noticed something strange this season, the wettest summer I can recall: the land is as green as Ireland was in 2011, my last visit to that side of the Atlantic.  It's lovely in August, but it has also meant we are coping without forage for our bees.

In short, the clover is not blooming and the wildflowers are absent. I don't know if others have had this issue, but we'll be feeding the hives sugar-water all Fall now, since a "nectar flow" looks as unlikely as it would be in a year of drought.

The last of our harvest is coming in, and fall greens are in the ground, even as I cut grass as steadily as I would in early June.  I can only guess what Winter might bring: something seasonably cold and snowy, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment